Sunday, September 27, 2015

Final Reflection & Acknowledgements

At the University of Oregon Robert D. Clark Honors College, around 1/3rd of students study abroad at some point in their undergraduate education. Of those whom I have conversed with, the common consensus was that it was something one had to experience for themselves. In fact, I was hoping to travel outside of the United States at least one more time before medical school. Living in Oregon for so long, I was vying for an escape...a traveling catharsis, if you will.

Looking back at the program I proud to announce that I got exactly what I wanted out of the program. Pune, India is a beautiful city. As evidenced by the advances in technology and infrastructure, India is a rapidly developing country. However, one midnight walk reveals a land still steeped in traditions lasting generations and generations beyond. It was an honor to immerse myself in the culture and learn more about healthcare on a global scale.

Throughout my journey I gained a wealth of medical knowledge from the doctors & witnessed a ton of procedures. Being mostly related to prenatal, neonatal, and pediatric fields, I feel only more motivated to work towards becoming a pediatrician so that I could see the smile of more happy families. However, I also learned something extremely important during my medical rotations: the humanity of a patient. Being able to see so many hospitals and so many individuals over the course of a month, I initially undervalued the privileges we were given as students compared to the diagnosis. As time passed, I came to realize that the ailment and operation are not always the most important paradigms of medicine: Patients are not simply learning tools for a student, they are people. I believe a doctor should never forget the sanctity of human life, and this is a lesson I will keep with me forever.

That being said, I was extremely overjoyed to have 2 individuals in which I could share my thoughts and future aspirations with. Their coming from different backgrounds also provided me with unique viewpoints concerning culture as well as healthcare.

The connections people form around the world are the ties that bind humanity. And I, for one, intend to fly out and make more ties.


Acknowledgements

I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Child Family Health International for providing me with this learning opportunity. In particular, I would like to thank Program Coordinator Lyndsey Brahm for helping me throughout and after the application process and getting me prepared for departure. I am also grateful to India Programs Director Hema Pandey for providing communications and support throughout the program duration.

To Dr. Dabak, Dr. Kothavale, Dr. Dugad, Dr. Kothari, Dr. Joshi, Dr. Godbole, & Dr. Gange, thank you for making the Maternal & Child Health Program possible through shadowing as well as providing words of wisdom to the minds of the future.

To Dada Waghamode & family, thank you for being more than just a caretaker but an amazing guide and close friend. Your hospitality will not be forgotten.

To Kim Obey & Daschel Franz, thank you for being the most excellent colleagues and friends a guy could ask for in a home away from home.

Finally, to my family & friends in Oregon, thank you for providing me with the support and encouragement needed to see the outside world with my own eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment